Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Salivating Over Seeds

Well, for anyone who has tried to follow this blog, I will be the first to admit that I am the most inconsistent blogger in the world.  But, it is a new year and thus a new gardening season and so here I find myself ready to post and try again.  After all, isn't that why anyone really loves gardening, we all get a chance with each new season to try again.
The past two days Mom and I have been salivating over seed catalogs, planning and dreaming.  Salivating may sound like I'm overdoing it here, but really, these seed catalogs don't show you seeds, they have the most beautiful pictures of vegetables you can imagine and for us dyed in the wool vegetable lovers, just looking makes us hungry!  I look at a beautiful tomato, read about it's production possibilities, and no kidding, I just can hardly stand that I can't run down to the greenhouse with a salt shaker and pick one!  But alas (did I just write alas?)  it is 10 degrees outside and certainly there are no tomatoes to be had in my greenhouse.  So, Mom and I are content to sip hot chocolate and discuss what to plant and which seeds to order.  What could be better on a January day!
Last year was a disastrous garden year for me.  Now, the weather was uncooperative, but that was not my problem.  My problem was that I spent twelve weeks recovering from back surgery, the end of June until the end of September.  That is enough to ruin anyone's summer, but for me, who lives and breaths gardening, it was its' own special torture.  I watched my garden from my bed as Mom and my sweet niece Sara managed to do all the weeding, cultivating and harvesting.  Needless to say, I missed practically the whole gardening season and now I am even more anxious than ever to be back with my hands in the soil!
I hope to use this blog to write my way through the gardening season this year.  So, grab your seed catalogs and search with me.  It is going to be a great year!

2 comments:

  1. Would you be willing to share some of your seed catalogs? All of mine are more geared towards the alpine desert and short, hot summers. From whence (and yes, I am super happy that I could fit "from whence" into this!) do your seeds come from? Maine? Minnesota? or even somewhere in Canada? Any info would be helpful. - Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refer to the catalogs of the seeds that is available with the wholesale vegetable suppliers that can give you a clear illustration about the seeds and the methods of cutivating.

    ReplyDelete