Thursday, March 4, 2010

It Begins

Welcome back. It is gardening time again and time to get back in to reporting on our gardens.

Today I woke up excited to check and see if any new seeds had sprouted. Actually, I've been doing that for two weeks now. On February 9th I planted the very first seeds, and I have been almost springing out of bed in the morning ever since just as if it were summer already. No kidding, when I start waking u the first thought I have is, "I wonder if anything came up over night." Wonderfully, for the past two weeks, something new is pushing up through the soil every morning! What am I planting when it is still snowy outside and spring is a good month away? Flowers! Lots of flowers! I also have some tomatoes, peppers, celery, onions and, as of today, artichokes planted, but for the most part I begin with flowers.

I do love planting flower seed. I love transplanting flower seedlings. I love planning flower beds. I love flower gardens, pots, hanging baskets, patio planters, you name it, if it has flowers in it I love it. I love weeding and watering them and dreaming about them. So, even though my flowers right now are mostly seeds and a few little seedlings, they are much more than that to me. They are a promise of summer to come, and as I plant them and watch them grow my mind fills with the potential they hold to beautify my world. So, even though it is still dark when I get up in the morning, it is already summer in my head as I check on my seedlings and see my summer's flower gardens growing there.

No comments:

Post a Comment